By Walter Bohm
This publication shows, with impressive action photos, the Leopard 1s of the Bundeswehr in NATO exercises during the Cold War, among them for example Schneller Wechsel 74, Nassauer Löwe 76, Standhafte Chatten 77, Wehrhafte Löwen 83, Sichere Festung 84, Schwerer Dampfhammer 86 plus REFORGER exercises and more.
At the end of the 1950s, the German Bundeswehr decided to replace its M47 / M48 tanks of American origin as soon as possible with a new main battle tank built in West Germany. In many respects, the American designs did no longer correspond with German tactical ideas and operational requirements for the Central European theatre of operations. Thus, starting from scratch again, West Germany began new tank construction.
As early as November 1956, the army's joint staff had already formulated its requirements for the first German tank design, "Kampfpanzer Standard" or standardised concept tank, since World War Two. Finally, on 09 September 1965, the first German post-war tank design, the series-produced and aptly named Leopard main battle tank was handed over to the Panzertruppe.