By Volker Ruff
A pictorial documentation of the German Heavy Tank Battalions 1942-45. As the first tank unit deployed with the Tiger, s.Pz.Abt.502 saw in action in the Leningrad area at the end of August 1942.
Der Tiger is a series of books that shows the Tigers and other associated vehicles in chronologically laid out photographs with specific text for each Abteilung.
Schwere Panzerabteilung 502 fought on the battlefields of Russia. As the first tank unit deployed with the new Tiger it saw its first action on the Leningrad front line at the end of August 1942. This was followed by combat around Leningrad and Ladoga sea front line and then in the Baltic countries.
This second Der Tiger book uses images taken by photographers of the Propaganda Companies and private photographs taken by members of the Abteilung, arranged in chronological order by place and sequence to show the Tiger in the field, under maintenance and in action.
- Formation in May 1942 - first action at Leningrad front line
- Winter 1942/43 - Second battle of Ladoga
- Unit completion in April 1943 - move to the Leningrad Front
- Summer 1943 - Third battle of Ladoga
- Autumn/Winter 1943/44 - Pustoshka, Nevel and Narva
- Summer 1944 - Ostrov, Daugavpils, Riga and Courland
- Winter/Spring 1944/45 - Memel bridgehead
128 pages with over 150 unique photographs from official and private collections.
Good quality photo study of a Tiger 1 equipped
abeilung. I'll be buying more of this series, I think.