By War Department
The Light Tank M3 and M5, known as the General Stuart, was the first tank used by American forces in armoured combat during WWII. Like its predecessor the M2A4, the Stuart was armed with a 37mm M5 main gun. It also carried up to five Browning machine guns and 7500 rounds of ammunition.
The M3 version sported radial aero-engines, replaced in the M5 with smoother, cooler twin Cadillac automobile engines. The M5 also featured improved sloped armour and had the driver's hatches moved up top. In the European Theatre, where enemy armoured vehicles were plentiful, the Stuart's weak main gun meant that it served primarily in cavalry and infantry support roles.
In the Pacific, where enemy armour was less of a threat and close support was a necessity, the Stuart's manoeuvrability proved a valuable asset. Over 25,000 Stuarts and variants were produced during the war, and they eventually served in the armies of over thirty countries including the Soviet Union, India and Republic of China Army. A few continue in active service military today. Intended as a general purpose manual for the platoon leader, tank commander and crew.
This 1944 War Department FM 17-68 field manual shows how to achieve efficient execution of mounted and dismounted action, and precision and speed in service of the weapon. Originally restricted, this manual was declassified long ago and is here reprinted in book form. Care has been taken to preserve the integrity of the text.
Has nitty gritty info on workings and crew.