Recreate the current British Main Battle Tank, the Challenger 2, with a Tamiya 1/35 scale model kit.
Compared to the Challenger 1 MBT that saw service during the Gulf War, the Challenger 2 features improved second generation Chobham armor capable of withstanding armor piercing and shape charge rounds. The fire control system was updated with the latest digital technology, including a panoramic commander's sight with built-in laser rangefinder and a thermal gunner's sight.
The 120mm L30 rifled main gun provides improved muzzle velocity and accuracy, and enables the Challenger 2 to discharge armor piercing, HESH, smoke and depleted uranium rounds. Special modifications to tanks deployed to Iraq included reactive armor added to the front, composite armor on the sides, a special cover to reduce exhaust heat, canvas skirts to reduce dust ingestion, Commander's Independent Thermal Viewer (CITV) and Combat Identification Panels (CIP).
- Accurate replication of Challenger 2 tank including new turret and 120mm 55 caliber smoothbore main gun.
- Features new accurately replicated tracks and wheels.
- CITV and gunner's sight lens cover can be assembled opened or closed.
- Transparent parts used to replicate gun sight lens, headlights, tail lights and rotating light.
- Commander and loader half-body figures and 3 sets of markings included with kit.
When a kit says 'Tamiya' on the front you can usually rely on clear, unambiguous instructions, parts that fit and engineering that works with the modeller. This Challenger is no exception; so far I have got as far as making the lower hull and running gear. Its all gone together like a Swiss watch. The dust skirts are also beautifully moulded.
There's nothing not to like here. You can relax and build a plastic kit that is going to fit beautifully together and also look really good.